GoFundMe has repaid $ 403,000 to 14,000 people who believed they were helping a homeless veteran.
The crowdfunding site said on Monday that all donations have now been reimbursed, as well as the handling and administration costs, according to CBS News.
A couple from New Jersey, Katelyn McClure and Mark D’Amico, started a fundraising campaign on the site in November 2017 after Johnny Bobbitt Jr. McClure would have given $ 20 when her car ran out of gas. The goal of the campaign was to raise $ 10,000 to help Bobbitt with rental and living expenses. The campaign went viral and raised more than 40 times that amount.
However, the prosecutors in New Jersey said last month that the three made up the story and in fact worked together on a scam to increase and split what people would donate. All three were accused last month of theft-deception and conspiracy to commit deception-theft. A lawyer for the couple declined to comment, according to CBS News.
McClure and D’Amico were scheduled for court Monday, but their lawyers waived the hearing, a public prosecutor from Burlington County said in an email to CBS News. Prosecutors are currently working on presenting the case to a grand jury, the spokesperson said.